Enrichment Registration ends on Friday, January 26th.
Visit the Enrichment page for more information and the registration link.
Registration is first come, first served!
PTA General Meeting and Parent Education Night – Wednesday, 2/7
With special guest: Ilene Schwartz, Ph.D.
Join us for the general PTA meeting and stay to socialize and learn about our Access education model!
Use this form to RSVP and to weigh in on the agenda for our upcoming February 7th General Meeting!
After February 5th, we will select 5 surveys at random to receive $20 Starbucks gift cards!! RSVP not required to submit the survey, but we will need your contact information for the prize drawing.
Need childcare for this event? RSVP by Monday, February 5. Space is limited; for children 5+
Montlake Elementary parents will be given an opportunity to join the PTA at the event.
If you’re planning to attend, but want to submit an anonymous survey, please RSVP online at https://feb7montlake.bpt.me
No Child Eats Alone – Friday, 2/9
Montlake Elementary will be celebrating No Child Eats Alone during lunch on Friday, February 9th and we are looking for a few parents to help us in the lunchroom Please contact Laura Stockwell at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re available to help. Thank you!
Legislative Update: Opportunities for YOU to take action!
WSPTA is offering multiple opportunities to LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
IN PERSON AT FOCUS DAY – Monday, January 29, 9am – 2pm
Come to Olympia to meet with legislators about WSPTA-supported issues and let them know what is important to you! Focus Day 2018 is for connecting with your legislators – no rally or speeches this year.
Find which Legislative Districts represent your school district on this map, and find those legislators here. It is important to make appointments in advance, and that is usually done by legislative chairs at the local PTA or Council level. Kate Levin is the Montlake PTA Legislative Chair; you can contact her by email: email@example.com.
On Focus Day, come to the Pritchard cafeteria, where members of the WSPTA Legislative Committee will greet you and provide our 2018 Legislative Priorities handout, Focus Day Postcards, and campus maps to help make your day successful.
Also on the our advocacy page, you will find a detailed “Issue one-page handout” for each Priority in the drop-down lists under “Legislative Platform.” These one-page handouts are great sources of talking points and can be given to legislators as well.
There are additional resources for coming to Olympia below.
ADVOCACY WEEK, January 29 – February 4
This is a great opportunity to contact legislators in other ways, especially if coming to Olympia is inconvenient:
- Got 2 minutes? Reply to a VOTER VOICE Action Alert. Sign up at https://www.votervoice.net/wapta/register
- Got 5 minutes? Find names of the legislators who represent your school district and call the Legislative Hotline to leave them a message: 1-800-562-6000
- Got 10 minutes? Download, print, and mail a postcard to legislators. Find the postcards on our advocacy page. Find mailing addresses for members of the House here and Senators here.
- Got 15 minutes? Send a personalized email to legislators telling them your story and why you care about PTA Priorities.
WSPTA will have a new Priority topic every day during Advocacy Week – sign up for Voter Voice, follow Washington State PTA on Facebook, and check the WSPTA Blog to get weekly updates on WSPTA Priorities and bills.
Thank you again for speaking on behalf of the 1.1 million public school students in Washington!
Legislative Director, Washington State PTA
Coming to the Legislature
- Parking info http://leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/Parking.aspx
- Capitol Campus Map http://des.wa.gov/sites/default/files/public/documents/campus-map.pdf
- DASH (free shuttle) https://www.intercitytransit.com/bus/routes/dash-101
Coming to Olympia with KIDS – Legislators LOVE to hear stories from students, so here are some tips for making it a happy experience if you bring your kids.
- Arrange a one of several tours of the Capitol campus https://des.wa.gov/services/facilities-leasing/capitol-campus/tours
- Include a trip to an area park https://des.wa.gov/services/facilities-leasing/capitol-campus/parks-and-attractions
- Visit the award-winning Hands On Children’s Museum https://www.hocm.org/
- More ideas https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Kids+Activities&find_loc=Olympia%2C+WA
General Information on the Legislative process, and participating in it
- Overview of the Legislative Process http://leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/Overview.aspx
- Citizen’s Guide to Effective Legislative Participation http://leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/EffectiveParticipation.aspx
You can always find out about upcoming events by clicking on the Calendar tab, above!
If you’d like to find out about volunteer opportunities, click on the Volunteering tab, above!
Special Education Liaison
The Montlake PTA has our very own Special Education Liaison: Laura Porto Stockwell. Do you have questions about the special education program at Montlake? Please feel free to contact Laura Porto Stockwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great week!